Category: Sports

Tyson Fury will call on ‘big dosser’ jibe in Deontay Wilder rematch

Deontay Wilder will have to withstand more “big dosser” insults during his heavyweight rematch against Tyson Fury. Tyson Fury has promised to fall back on old tricks as he aims to defeat Deontay Wilder in the pair’s highly anticipated rematch in Las Vegas. In December 2018, the pair fought out a controversial split draw at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Wilder knocked Fury down twice – in the ninth and 12th rounds – yet he beat the count on both occasions. Defending WBC heavyweight champion Wilder has since revealed Fury kept muttering “dosser”, seemingly as a distraction tactic, during the bout. The 31-year-old Briton has since used the phrase “you big dosser” consistently while calling out Wilder and other fighters, including during a short stint in WWE in 2019. On Thursday, Fury attended a media gathering wearing a suit embroidered with the catchphrase – an insult he says he intends to use again at the MGM Grand Arena on Saturday. “Yes, I think I’ll be using ‘the dosser’ again in this fight,” Fury told Omnisport. “I’ve got my ‘big dosser’ suit on. “At any given moment I’m going to be pulling out the ‘big dosser’ line in the fight, don’t worry about that.” This will be Fury’s third fight in Vegas, a city where he intends to see out his professional career within the next two years. “Most definitely,” Fury said when asked if relocating to Vegas, and bringing a large contingent of support with him, had helped add extra motivation following his comeback. “I look out and there are thousands of fans who have travelled, British and from all over the world, to see this fight.”

Read More

10-year-old Manchester United fan writes letter to Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp asking him to lose, Klopp’s reply wins hearts

Liverpool’s success these days is enviable due to various reasons, one of which is their current manager Jurgen Klopp. Having joined the Reds in 2015, the German took only four years to help them overtake Manchester United as the most successful English club ever. And quite understandably, the recent success of their arch-rivals have not really pleased Manchester United fans – one of whom is a ten-year from Donegal, Ireland. Daragh Curley, the 10-year-old Red Devils’ fan mentioned above, recently wrote to the Liverpool boss for a school assignment, asking Klopp if it would be possible for Liverpool to lose some matches so they would not win the Premier League this season! Check out the kid’s letter right below: Given his age, the letter is innocent and hilarious, yet cheeky as well, although even Daragh himself could never have expected a reply from Klopp. But it turns out, when his likability is not coming from eccentric coaching and hilarious press conferences, Klopp apparently exercises his popularity with a pen and paper – as his reply to Curley has not only won hearts but has also helped him earn a lot of respect from fans. Read the former Borussia Dortmund boss’ reply right below: Simply brilliant. Meanwhile, all Premier League teams have completed 26 matches each so far this season, and with 12 more Matchdays remaining, Liverpool are at the top of the table, way ahead of all their opponents with 76 points (25 wins, 1 draw, 0 defeats). Second-placed Manchester City have 54 points, which means that the maximum number of points they can gain from their remaining matches is 36 – which would take them to an overall tally of 90 points. So all that Jurgen Klopp and his boys need to do now to win the league this season, is to accumulate at least 15 more points from their remaining twelve matches – so that their overall tally would be 91 or more, making it impossible for any other side to lay their hands on the...

Read More

Rory McIlroy grabs two-stroke lead in Mexico

Runner-up last year, Rory McIlroy grabbed a first-round lead at the WGC-Mexico Championship. Rory McIlroy opened up a two-stroke lead at the WGC-Mexico Championship to continue his good form on Thursday. The world number one, who has started 2020 with two top-five finishes, carded a six-under 65 in the opening round at Club de Golf Chapultepec. Starting on the back nine, McIlroy made an eagle at the par-five 11th before holing five birdies, with his only blemish coming with a bogey at the fourth. McIlroy, runner-up last year, is two shots clear of Americans Bubba Watson and Justin Thomas. “It was good. All aspects of my game were working pretty well. I drove the ball well, and I took advantage of that,” McIlroy said. “I think the big thing was I putted well. I didn’t putt so well at Riviera [at the Genesis Invitational] last week. I went back to my old putter, I was trying a new one last week. “It didn’t quite work out the way I wanted it to, but I was comfortable on the greens today and holed some nice ones coming in.” To take the solo lead …@McIlroyRory is rolling it at @WGCMexico. pic.twitter.com/HWQm5uIzHE — PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 20, 2020 Watson is a three-time runner-up at the tournament and made five birdies and a bogey during his round, while Thomas finished second in 2018. Perfect touch from @BubbaWatson. #QuickHits pic.twitter.com/ZzmQjaXJgq — PGA TOUR (@PGATOUR) February 20, 2020 Louis Oosthuizen, Billy Horschel, Corey Conners and Bryson DeChambeau, who carded three-under 68s in their first rounds, are tied for fourth. Three-time winner Dustin Johnson endured an awful start by opening with a five-over 76. The defending champion made a double bogey and four bogeys to go with his birdie as he was left in a tie for 62nd.

Read More

Lewis Hamilton yet to open contract talks with Mercedes

Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton is in no rush to open contract talks with the team. Lewis Hamilton revealed he was yet to begin contract talks with Mercedes as the world champion focuses on preparations for the 2020 Formula One season. The six-time world champion is out of contract at the end of this season, which begins in Australia next month. But Hamilton, who has been linked with a move to Ferrari, is in no rush to open talks with Mercedes. “We haven’t sat down. I know Toto [Wolff, Mercedes team principal] is keen to, but right now the focus is on trying to make sure I am fit and ready for the season ahead as it ramps up,” Hamilton said at pre-season testing on Thursday. “You want to start on the front foot so it is not something I really get bogged down with at this period of time.” #Teamwork @MercedesAMGF1 pic.twitter.com/fYU80hRFmn — Lewis Hamilton (@LewisHamilton) February 20, 2020 Hamilton has won five championships since joining Mercedes in 2013, including the past three to move within one of Michael Schumacher’s record of seven. The 35-year-old Brit said there would be more to talks than just the rest of his driving career. “People talk about freedom as if it is a bad thing, but it is not at all. Mercedes have allowed me to be who I want to be rather than keep me constricted and ask me to speak a certain way or dress a certain way,” Hamilton said. “There were question marks over all the different things I do, but everyone can see the results I have had over the last two years. The flexibility helps me to be more engaged and an even better driver than I thought I could be. “It is now about trying to figure out what the next five-to-10-year plan is, and how the decision I make now will impact the future. “Does it allow me to put certain things in place so that, when I hang up my helmet, I am able to continue to pursue other interests? That will be in the small print of what we agree and what we will mostly be talking...

Read More

Lucas Moura: Tottenham Hotspur ‘cannot cry’ over injury problems

Tottenham striker Lucas Moura has not given up hope of advancing in the Champions League, despite Spurs losing key men to injury. Lucas Moura has warned Tottenham must not feel sorry for themselves over a lack of striking options and vowed Jose Mourinho’s can still make a success of their campaign. Spurs lost Harry Kane to a likely season-ending hamstring injury on New Year’s Day and Son Heung-min is also in danger of missing the rest of 2019-20 after needing surgery on a fractured arm. Head coach Mourinho said after the 1-0 loss to RB Leipzig in the opening leg of their Champions League last-16 tie that Tottenham are “really in trouble” due to a lack of bite up front. Lucas was tasked with leading the line alongside Dele Alli in Wednesday’s match and insists he will continue giving his all to fill the void left by Kane and Son. “We lose two big strikers but we cannot cry,” he said, quoted by several British newspapers. “That’s the game. Every team has problems such as this. FULL-TIME: A big result needed in the second leg – it’s not over yet. #THFC 0-1 #RBL pic.twitter.com/xxbdWSmGhp — Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) February 19, 2020 “I will give my best to score goals. I will give 100 per cent and we will go into the second leg with Leipzig with a strong mentality. We have the quality to go there and qualify.” Timo Werner’s penalty gave Leipzig a deserved 1-0 win at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, leaving Mourinho’s men with a mountain to climb in the return leg on March 10. However, Tottenham defied the odds in reaching the final last season and Lucas – who played a key role in that magical run – is not giving up hope of another memorable comeback victory. “We can turn it around, the game is not over,” he said. “It is a result we did not want. We did well with the system we chose to play. “We had opportunities to score. We lost the game, but it’s not over. We will prepare well and I am sure we are capable to go there and qualify. “We know that in football...

Read More