Button returns to Williams F1 in an advisory role

The Williams Formula One team have signed 2009 world champion Jenson Button as an advisor ahead of the 2021 season.

The team said in a statement on Friday that the 41-year-old, who won his title with Brawn GP, would serve as a ‘senior advisor’ on a multi-year deal.

Formula 1

Nissany handed more F1 practice sessions with Williams

19/01/2021 AT 10:50

“I am so delighted to once again be able to say that I’ve signed for Williams,” said Button.

“Back when I was 19 it was a moment that changed my life and, despite the fact it was over 20 years ago, I already feel like I never really left.

“Sir Frank Williams showed faith in me which I will be eternally grateful for and I am incredibly excited to have the chance to come back and help the team as it strives once more for success.”

Williams, who changed ownership last year with the founding family selling up to U.S.-based Dorilton Capital, said Button would attend a number of races with them and some team events in Britain.

The Briton, who retired in 2017 after eight years at McLaren, will also continue his role as a pundit for Sky Sports television.

“Bringing Jenson back on board is another positive step to help us move forward as a team both on and off track,” said newly appointed Williams chief executive Jost Capito.

He said Button’s experience would “add another layer to our transformation both technically and as a business.”

Williams have British youngster George Russell and Canadian Nicholas Latifi as their 2021 driver line-up.

The team finished last without a point last year and have not won a race since 2012.

Formula 1

Williams F1 founder Frank Williams stable in hospital

15/12/2020 AT 19:13

Formula 1

‘Gutted’ Russell faces Sakhir GP disqualification

06/12/2020 AT 20:27

Red Bull's Honda plan depends on F1 engine vote, says Marko

Red Bull’s team advisor Helmut Marko has revealed the team will continue to use the Honda manufacturer’s power unit.

Honda announced last October that it will end its participation as an engine supplier at the end of the 2021 season.

Formula 1

Perez ‘like a dog finding a new family’ at Red Bull

YESTERDAY AT 17:58

Red Bull, who finished runners-up to champions Mercedes and have Dutch driver Max Verstappen and Mexican Sergio Perez this season, want to take over the intellectual property of the Honda engine rather than become a customer of another manufacturer.

“Everything has been settled between us. The timing is there,” Marko, who is close to Red Bull’s billionaire owner Dietrich Mateschitz, told German publication Auto Motor und Sport.

Max Verstappen (Red Bull) in Abu Dhabi

Image credit: Getty Images

“But there is only an OK when we have written proof from the (governing) FIA ​​that the development stop on the engine side is coming.

“We are waiting for the FIA’s decision,” added the Austrian, who said the situation should be clarified by an e-vote of the FIA’s F1 commission some time next week.

The current V6 turbo hybrid power units are due to be replaced in 2025 and the cost of continuing development would be beyond all but the major manufacturers.

The commission features teams, manufacturers, Formula One and the FIA with a majority required for the freeze to be approved.

Renault would otherwise be obliged to provide engines to Red Bull as the manufacturer supplying fewest teams at present. Mercedes have four teams using their power units and Ferrari three.

Honda are partners to both Red Bull and sister team AlphaTauri. Renault have only their own factory outfit.

Formula 1

Nissany handed more F1 practice sessions with Williams

19/01/2021 AT 10:50

Monaco Grand Prix

Monaco says F1 grand prix will go ahead this year

18/01/2021 AT 17:53

Perez 'like a dog finding a new family' at Red Bull

New signing Sergio Perez says he feels “like a dog finding a new family” at Red Bull and has promised to help push performance and over-deliver as Max Verstappen’s Formula One team-mate.

Speaking in a team interview during a factory visit, the Mexican said he was adjusting to his surroundings after seven years with the Force India/Racing Point team that is now Aston Martin.

Formula 1

Nissany handed more F1 practice sessions with Williams

YESTERDAY AT 10:50

“You’ve been with a family for so many years, you are used to see them and then all of the sudden you’re changing. But I have to say, I’m starting to feel very comfortable here,” he said.

“It’s a fantastic team, very united and I can see that there’s a lot of fun ahead of us.”

Perez, a winner in Bahrain last year for his first victory in 190 starts, replaced Thai driver Alex Albon after losing his Racing Point seat to four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel.

“I think I know what I need from myself but I also feel that I can push the team forwards in certain areas, just by talking to the team,” said Perez, who finished the 2020 campaign fourth overall.

“I have to wait and drive the car but there’s already some good ideas that we’ve been sharing with the team, that hopefully can bring some performance on track.”

Perez will have Honda engines at Red Bull but brings insight into the power unit used by Mercedes, champions for the past seven years. Last year’s pink-liveried Racing Point was strikingly similar to the 2019 title-winning Mercedes.

Red Bull won twice with Verstappen in 2020 and are looking to Perez, who hailed the Dutchman as one of the fastest drivers out there, to help mount a closer title challenge.

“Now is my big opportunity,” said Perez.

“I have to go onto the next step in all aspects and I think I’m ready for it. The only thing I was lacking was the opportunity. Now I have it, it’s up to me to make it work. I’m going to make sure I over-deliver.

“If we have a car that can win the championship, I’ll make sure we win it. And if not, and we only have a car that’s good enough for third I will make sure that we finish second.”

Monaco Grand Prix

Monaco says F1 grand prix will go ahead this year

18/01/2021 AT 17:53

Formula 1

Jordan: Hamilton is replaceable

17/01/2021 AT 11:28

El nuevo McLaren – Mercedes de Norris y Ricciardo va muy bien

“Es una cirugía a corazón abierto en un coche de carreras”. Con esta peculiar comparación, Andreas Seild quiso enfatizar en el GP de Turquía 2020 el mayúsculo sobreesfuerzo, en término de trabajo, que iban a tener que soportar los técnicos de McLaren durante este invierno debido al cambio de Renault a Mercedes.

Una desafiante permuta, la tercera en siete años, con la que la escudería de Woking espera dar un paso adelante en 2021 y afianzar su liderazgo en la zona media frente a Racing Point, Ferrari, Renault y Alpha Tauri, antes del mayúsculo cambio reglamentario que sufrirá el campeonato a nivel técnico, financiero y deportivo en 2022.

La relación con Mercedes ha comenzado muy bien

Ahora, casi dos meses después de estas declaraciones en Estambul y cuando resta casi el mismo lapso para el comienzo de la pretemporada en Montmeló, Andreas Seild actualiza en la página web oficial del Mundial el estado de los quehaceres al sureste de Gran Bretaña: “Obviamente es una gran tarea cambiar a la unidad de potencia de Mercedes, pero debo decir que estoy muy contento con el progreso que estamos viendo en Woking. Yo diría que la construcción del coche va muy bien. La relación con los chicos de Brixworth ha comenzado también sobre una muy buena base. Hay muy buen diálogo e intercambio técnico, así que estoy muy contento con eso”.

De igual modo, Seild asegura que todavía no han encendido el motor alemán en la fábrica británica, ya que todavía no han terminado los trabajos para rediseñar la parte trasera del monoplaza: “La ceremonia para encender la unidad de potencia es un protocolo que ahora mismo va en paralelo con el desarrollo aerodinámico que tenemos que hacer este año, especialmente en la parte trasera del coche, para ayudar a Pirelli. Diría que estamos en el objetivo, no hay semáforos en rojo en este momento. Tenemos bastante experiencia también dentro del equipo en este tipo de cosas. Lo bien que logremos hacerlo sólo lo sabremos una vez completemos las pruebas de pretemporada”.

Nissany handed more F1 practice sessions with Williams

Israeli driver Roy Nissany will have a day of pre-season testing and take part in three Friday practice sessions for Williams this season.

Nissany, 26, ended up 19th in Formula Two last year after finishing 22nd in 2019 but Williams, who changed ownership last August, said he would continue in the role of official test driver.

Formula 1

Williams F1 founder Frank Williams stable in hospital

15/12/2020 AT 19:13

He took part in free practice in the Spanish, Italian and Bahrain Grands Prix last year as well as the post-season test in Abu Dhabi.

“As a team, we were very happy with the contributions Roy made both through his work on-track and in the simulator at Grove, which all aided the lap time gains we were able to make with the FW43,” team boss Simon Roberts said in a statement.

The former champions failed to score a point last year, finishing last overall. The season begins in Bahrain on March 28.

Formula 1

‘Gutted’ Russell faces Sakhir GP disqualification

06/12/2020 AT 20:27

Formula 1

‘It’s OK to feel the pain’ – Hamilton consoles Russell after mistake

02/11/2020 AT 12:02

Alpine ya mete presión a Alonso

Luca de Meo ha planteado una auténtica revolución en Grupo Renault durante el próximo lustro. Para eso tomó el timón del gigante automovilístico francés y se ha puesto manos a la obra, incluyendo los proyectos de esa competición que tanto le apasiona. Para empezar, ha llevado al equipo de Fórmula 1 bajo el paraguas de Alpine, la marca que debe representar la deportividad y la pasión frente a otros aspectos más racionales basados, fundamentalmente, en la electrificación de la movilidad.

De Meo también tiene planes ambiciosos para Alpine, los ha comentado en anteriores ocasiones y los refrenda ahora en una entrevista concedida al diario italiano ‘Corriere della Sera’. Así explica los objetivos que se plantea a corto plazo, lo que espera de Fernando Alonso y Esteban Ocon ya en 2021: “Tenemos que hacerlo mejor que el año pasado, eso significa conseguir más podios. El verdadero desafío llegará en 2022 con el cambio de reglamento”.

Es un planteamiento muy similar al de la mayoría de las escuderías, que esperan que la hegemonía de Mercedes pueda debilitarse el año que viene con la revolución técnica que se prepara para entonces. Entre tanto, De Meo recuerda la importancia de la F1 para sus objetivos estratégicos generales: “La Fórmula 1 está en la historia de Renault, se encuentra en el centro de nuestro negocio, llevamos 43 años presentes en el Gran Circo. Alpine significa competición y excelencia tecnológica. Es una marca con mucha historia y también un gran futuro”.

El principal directivo de Renault también argumenta en la entrevista la incorporación de Davide Brivio al organigrama de Alpine, adelantando que tendrá una responsabilidad importante en el equipo de carreras de F1: “Viene del equipo campeón del mundo de MotoGP con Suzuki. Llega del mundo de la moto, pero da igual que ahora sean cuatro ruedas. Lo importante es que se trata de un excelente profesional, conoce el ambiente de los circuitos, la importancia de tener un equipo unido y con cada uno haciendo el papel necesario, saber organizar el trabajo de una forma determinada”.

Monaco says F1 grand prix will go ahead this year

Formula One’s Monaco Grand Prix will happen this season after being cancelled last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic, organisers said on Monday in response to speculation the showcase race could be scrapped again.

The harbourside race, traditionally a glamour highlight of the year, is scheduled for May 23 as the fifth round on a calendar that was tweaked earlier this month due to the continuing spread of the virus.

Monaco Grand Prix

The new wing McLaren didn’t risk in Monaco

01/06/2018 AT 14:50

“Despite the latest rumours circulating on certain websites and social media, the @ACM_Media can confirm that the #MonacoGP will take place from May 20th to 23rd, 2021,” the Automobile Club de Monaco (ACM) said on Twitter.

The Historic Grand Prix for classic F1 cars was also confirmed for April 23-25 and the all-electric Formula E race on May 8.

The opening round of the world rally championship, the Monte Carlo Rally, starts on Thursday and ends in the Mediterranean principality on Sunday.

Formula One’s 2020 season was postponed and then reduced to 17 races, mostly behind closed doors and with street races such as Monaco, Azerbaijan and Singapore cancelled.

With the pandemic flaring again and more contagious new variants emerging, countries have imposed tighter travel restrictions.

Australia, the usual season-opener in Melbourne in March, has been postponed to November due to the current quarantine requirements while China’s race in Shanghai remains uncertain.

Formula One dismissed as ‘completely wrong’ speculation at the weekend that races at street circuits were set to be cancelled, however.

Hamilton: Black Lives Matter movement has made me a better driver

“We have set out the details of the revised 2021 calendar and there are no other changes,” a spokesman said.

Saudi Arabia is due to debut this year with a floodlit street race in Jeddah in December.

Monaco Grand Prix

How Mercedes attacked its Monaco weakness

31/05/2018 AT 15:39

Monaco Grand Prix

Sauber’s Monaco GP-led update explained

30/05/2018 AT 12:29

Ecclestone desconfía de Hamilton y Mercedes

La renovación de Lewis Hamilton con Mercedes es uno de los asuntos que centra la atención en la actualidad de la Fórmula 1 y más en este periodo de tiempo sin acción en pista. Una ampliación de contrato que parece estancada pero que algunos opinan que llegará a buen puerto. Y en esta opinión se encuentra Bernie Ecclestone, exjefe de la Fórmula 1, quien opina que el continuo chorro de informaciones sobre el futuro de Lewis Hamilton es toda una operación para estar en el foco de los medios.

“Todo es sólo un espectáculo para que Lewis, en particular, permanezca en los titulares durante estas tristes semanas”, ha asegurado Ecclestone al diario ‘Blick, dejando entrever que el acuerdo entre piloto y escudería se hará y se anunciará cuando mejor convenga. En este punto y para reforzar la teoría del magnate hay que señalar que el británico aparece como inscrito en la lista de la FIA para la temporada 2021.

El siete veces campeón del mundo está en estos momentos sin contrato al acabar el anterior y hay muchas especulaciones sobre los motivos de la demora de la renovación, desde duración y cuantía del acuerdo, poderes de decisión de Hamilton dentro de la escudería incluso para elegir a su compañero de equipo…

Unos rumores que no afectan a su actual vecino de garaje, Valtteri Bottas. El finlandés asegura que no va a entrar en polémicas y sólo piensa en correr en la pista: “Seguro que podemos correr duro, pero también podemos dejarlo ahí. Y sabemos el hecho de que si podemos trabajar juntos, así es como el equipo se beneficiará al final”.

Red Bull: “En 2022 habrá un asiento libre en Mercedes”

Uno de los bombazos que nos dejó el Mundial de Fórmula 1 2020 fue el fichaje de Sergio Pérez por Red Bull. La escudería de Milton Keynes anunciaba el pasado 18 de diciembre que se rendía a la evidencia, después del pobre rendimiento de Pierre Gasly y Alexander Albon en comparación con Max Verstappen, y decidía romper con el mexicano la regla de no buscar pilotos fuera de su programa de jóvenes, en un nuevo intento por poner punto y final a la hegemonía de Mercedes en el Gran Circo.

Preguntado por este movimiento justo cuando Pérez ha viajado esta semana al condado de Buckinghamshire para comenzar a preparar su aclimatación al monoplaza energético, Helmut Marko revela en ‘F1-Insider’ que le hubiera gustado haber podido firmar el regreso de Sebastian Vettel, pero que cuando tomaron la decisión de no continuar con Albon, el tetracampeón ya no estaba en el mercado.

“En 2022 habrá un asiento libre en Mercedes”

“Cuando Ferrari notificó su salida, no teníamos ningún asiento disponible para Vettel. En ese momento pensábamos que Albon iría mejorando su rendimiento cada carrera y podría compartir equipo con Verstappen también en 2021. Eso es lo que le dije a Sebastian. Desafortunadamente, nos equivocamos. Y cuando tuvimos que actuar, Vettel ya no estaba en el mercado porque había firmado un compromiso a largo plazo con Aston Martin. Por eso, Sergio Pérez fue la decisión lógica para nosotros”, asegura Marko.

Así mismo, el asesor de Red Bull admite que recomendó a Vettel tomarse en 2021 un año sabático, si bien señala que fichar por una escudería como Aston Martin es una opción muy tentadora: “No quería que actuara precipitadamente, sino que esperara porque tenía claro que el mercado de pilotos va a cambiar sustancialmente en 2022. Por ejemplo, estoy seguro de que habrá un asiento libre en Mercedes. Sólo quería que todavía estuviera en el mercado en el momento adecuado para que pudiera aceptar la mejor oferta posible. Sobre todo, no quería que un cuatro veces campeón del mundo se despidiera de la Fórmula 1 de esa manera. Sin embargo, admito que Aston Martin es muy tentador. Es un nombre de culto, su estrecha colaboración con Mercedes tiene una buena perspectiva deportiva…”.